Tuesday 12 January 2010

Nostalgia's Not Like It Used To Be On Twitter

Being what might be described as a late adopter to Twitter (joining in February 2009) you'd think I'd be full of shiny, brand new, youthful enthusiasm for the micro-blogging service that's transforming how we, relate to, create, share and consume media content. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a great advocate and participator....but horror of horrors I seem to be inadvertently recycling my tweets from as far back as the halycyon days of summer 2009.

I like to think I'm a half decent tweeter and try to make them as original as possible, I must discard a third of them for being rubbish through an in-built quality control mechanism, but even so I'm occasionally re-quoting my own tweets.

Am I drying-up? or do I unconsciously consider certain tweets as holding some longer-term value and having something about them that needs to be recorded and etched in my and other people's consciousness for posterity, you know, like a poem, a lyric, or a comic's one-liner.

Far from being a throw-away microblogging service, Twitter is actually a history of everything I want to write down and communicate, some of which becomes iconic 'content' to be cherished and shared long after it was initially created.

With that thought in mind whose's up for lobbying Twitter for a royalty for every retweet - a penny sounds about right?

No comments:

Post a Comment